Whey Concentrate Vs Whey Isolate

Whey-Concentrate-Vs-Whey-Isolate

What is the difference between Whey concentrate vs Whey Isolate?
Many people have this confusion about whey protein forms and their use, so let’s find out with this article.
Whey protein is one of the most suggested and regularly consumed supplements in sports and fitness today. In addition, many athletes recommend consuming protein powder in addition to their daily protein intake to boost muscle growth and recovery.

whey-concentrate-vs-whey-isolate

However, since there are so many different proteins on the market, how do you know what makes them all different? Two of the most used protein powders available today are whey concentrate and whey isolates.

Whey Protein Concentrate and Whey Protein Isolate:

Although whey protein and whey isolate are derived from the same milk concentrate, whey isolate is simply whey protein, which is filtered in a process that helps remove lactose from the powder. This protein is meant to make it a lean and low source of fat.

whey-concentrate-vs-whey-isolate

The main difference between whey protein and whey isolate is that the 2 products provide different amounts of protein, lactose, and fat per serving. Whey protein can deliver anywhere between 10-15% protein content for a serving with over 50% lactose and about 2% fat. On the other hand, Whey Protein Isolate has more than 90% pure protein content with 1% lactose or saturated fat.

Anyone with lactose intolerance or digestive problems can benefit from whey isolate.

Whey Concentrate Vs Whey Isolate:

There are few nutritional differences between whey isolate protein and whey concentrate protein. These differences are due to processing methods.

When liquid whey protein is collected as a by-product of making cheese or yoghurt, It goes through several processing stages to increase the protein content.

After sufficient protein concentration is reached, the liquid can be evaporated to form a whey concentrated powder containing 80% protein by mass. The remaining 20% ​​concentrated protein powder as whey contains carbohydrates and fats.

If different processing methods are used to reduce whey’s fat and carbohydrate content, whey isolates protein powder containing 90% or more protein by weight is produced.

The processing activities used to extract isolate whey have a high protein content and reduce fat and carbohydrate.

whey-concentrate-vs-whey-isolate

However, the types of amino acids (AA) found in the two types of whey are almost identical because they come from the same protein.

In addition to having a low total carbohydrate content, whey isolate also has a low lactose content. This means that it is an excellent choice for those who are lactose intolerant.

However, the amount of lactose in both forms of whey protein may be sufficient for lactose-intolerant people.

Apart from their nutritional differences, there is also a cost difference between these two types of whey. In general, whey isolate protein is more expensive than whey concentrate protein.

The table below shows the main comparison between a whey isolate and a whey concentrate supplement per 100 calorie serving:

Whey ConcentrateWhey Isolate
Protein20-24 grams24-30 grams
Carbohydrate2-5 grams1-2 grams
Fat2-3 grams0-1 grams

Best Selling Whey Concentrate Protein:

  1. Dymatize Elite Whey 100% Protein Powder 5 lb
  2. Labrada 100% Whey Protein 4.4lbs (2kg) Chocolate
  3. MuscleTech NitroTech Performance Series 4 lb
  4. Evogen Evofusion Whey 4.6lbs Chocolate Shake
  5. One Science Nutrition Premium Whey Protein 5lbs Chocolate Charge

Best Selling Whey Isolate Protein:

  1. Dymatize ISO 100 Protein Powder 5lbs
  2. Labrada Iso Whey 100% Whey Protein Isolate 2kg Cafe Brazil
  3. Ultimate Nutrition ISO Sensation 93 – 5 lbs
  4. One Science Nutrition Isogold 100% Whey Isolate Protein 5lbs Chocolate Charge
  5. Evogen Isoject Pure Whey Protein Isolate 2Lbs Chocolate

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *