Vitamin C is known worldwide for its effect on a healthy immune system, but there are more than that,
This vitamin is a water-soluble vitamin found in many foods, especially fruits and vegetables.
It is notorious for being a powerful antioxidant and having a positive effect on skin health and immune function.
It is also essential for building collagen, connective tissue, bones, teeth, and small blood vessels.
C cannot be produced or stored by the human body. Therefore, it is essential to take it regularly in sufficient quantity.
What Is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C, also know as L-ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin that has many health benefits. Unfortunately, our body does not produce this vitamin, so you need to eat it every day.
Most people know that Vit C is a stimulant of the immune system, but it is involved in many processes in the body. helps to maintain connective tissue and produce collagen to heal wounds. It promotes the absorption of iron from plant-based sources, which is essential for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. exhibits strong antioxidant properties and is constantly being researched for its role in preventing ageing and disease. it is involved in protein metabolism – which is of interest to athletes and bodybuilders.
Benefits Of Vitamin C:
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant vitamin that increases the level of antioxidants in your blood. As a result, it can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease.
- it has been found to reduce blood pressure in healthy adults and those with high blood pressure.
- Vitamin C food reduces the risk of heart disease, including high levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Foods and medications that contain vitamin C can lower the level of uric acid in the blood and reduce the risk of gout (high uric acid).
- Vitamin C may improve the absorption of poorly absorbed iron, i.e. iron from non-vegetarian sources. Thus, it also reduces the risk of iron deficiency.
- Vitamin C boosts the immune system, makes white blood cells more effective, strengthens the skin’s immune system and heals wounds faster.
- Low vitamin C levels are associated with memory and are associated with mental disorders such as dementia, but it is safe to take high vitamin C from foods and supplements.
Food Source Of Vitamin C:
There are different natural food sources of vita C, i.e., fruits and vegetables, that can help increase your intake.
The suggested average dose for an adult is 75-80 mg for women and 85-90 mg for men. Surprisingly, some vegetables contain higher amounts of vitamin C than some fruits. Here are some foods that contain vitC.
- Kiwi fruit
- Red peppers
Vitamin C is a very potent vitamin that has a significant impact on our health and well-being. Fortunately, it is widely available in fresh fruits and vegetables and various forms.
Vitamin C has many benefits, and more and more research is being done every day. Vit C deficiency can be prevented with a balanced diet, but supplements are also commonly used. Take advice from your doctor if you have any concerns about your vit C intake.